Copyright (c) Hyperion Entertainment and contributors.
Difference between revisions of "AmigaOS Apps Productivity & Utilities"
m (→NoWinED: Changed download site to OS4Depot)
m (→RNOComics: Changed download site to OS4Depot)
|Line 722:||Line 722:|
* ARexx support
* ARexx support
[http://./// RNOComics webpage]
== RNOPublisher ==
== RNOPublisher ==
Revision as of 23:28, 25 December 2021
AmigaOS offers a wide range of productivity and utilitiy applications to help maximize user experience as well as the ability to highly customize the operating system. The following list highlights just a few of the applications available to assist users in getting the most out of their system.
- 1 Disclaimer
- 2 AbiWord
- 3 AmiCygnix
- 4 AmiSystemRestore
- 5 Annotate
- 6 Aorganiser
- 7 BackUP
- 8 Cinnamon Writer
- 9 ComicOn
- 10 CPUWatcher
- 11 Directory Opus
- 12 DOSBox
- 13 Filer
- 14 FileX
- 15 Gnumeric
- 16 HomeBank
- 17 ignition
- 18 Luettje Bookholler
- 19 MindSpace
- 20 MUIMapparium
- 21 NoWinED
- 22 PageStream
- 23 Photo-blanker
- 24 PointRider
- 25 RNOComics
- 26 RNOPublisher
- 27 RNOXfer
- 28 SnoopDos
- 29 SQLite
- 30 UHC Tools
- 31 Workbench Explorer
The following list of applications are neither endorsed by nor supported by Hyperion Entertainment. This list is strictly informational only.
AbiWord is a professional word processor and part of the Gnome Office Suite. It supports a wide range of file formats such as Word, Open Office and Word Perfect, automatic spell checking, tables, headers, footnotes and more.
Abiword requires the installation of AmiCygnix and can be downloaded from the AmiCygnix webpage.
AmiCygnix is a fully featured release of the X Windows Environment.
The X Window System is the base for the all graphical user interfaces on Unix or Linux systems. No matter which GUI-toolkit is used, on the lowest level works X11. The system is split into a server and in a client part, which is typical for Unix like systems. The server is responsible for processing the graphics and handles the user events like mouse-moves or key-events. The client finally is an application (e.g. a paint-program or a text-editor), which is using this system for displaying his windows.
What is the advantage to have this on an AmigaOS system? It makes it easier to port open source software to AmigaOS, because the sources for the GUI part can be compiled without any (or at least very few) changes.
With AmiCygnix you can use applications, such as AbiWord, Gnumeric, Gimp and Pidgin. Many more applications are also available which run under the AmiCygnix.
AmiSystemRestore aims to give AmigaOS4 a similar ability to Window's very useful System Restore. What it does is create Restore Points, which act as snapshots of your SYS: partition (where the OS is stored). If anything changes on your SYS: partition, then you can roll it back to the time of the snapshot.
Why would you want to undo changes to your SYS: partition? Well, if you install a new program (or update an existing one), you have no idea if any new libraries (or other changes) will have problems that may break existing programs. A badly written installer might even replace libraries (etc) with older versions! AmiSystemRestore allows you to undo ALL recent changes (whether or not they were done by the installer), and return SYS: to an earlier point in time. Knowledgeable users can be more selective about which changes are undone, with the warning that they need to know what they are doing!
If you are installing something using AmiUpdate or the official Installer system, then AmiSystemRestore will automatically create Restore Points for you (and Ringhio messages should notify you of this).
A comprehensive text editor written for AmigaOS.
Current features include:
- Syntax Highlighting
- Multi-unit clipboard support
- Unlimited Undo/Redo
- Vertical block selection
- Left-right shifting of text and blocks
- Multi-functional scroll bar
- Text locking
- Tools menu
- Full-featured Arexx Port
Author: Doug Bakewell Maintainer and successor: Daniel Westerberg
Annotate has been released under the GNU GPL by request of the original author Doug Bakewell.
This is the latest release of a simple to use Diary program. It was originally conceived as an AmigaOS4 replacement for the Digital Organiser but is not intended to be a direct clone of that program. It has a GUI styled on a traditional paper diary and also an Arexx interface.
This is a simple backup tool, nothing fancy. It simply copies files from one directory to another. Of course it only copies files that are different in some way, like size or date etc.
Current features include:
- Easy to use GUI.
- Ability to backup from one directory to another directory.
- Quick and copies only what needs to be copied.
- Copies files and directories as they are, does not store in some custom backup format.
- Can be used from the boot shell without any libraries installed.
- Copy softlinks as softlinks by recreating the softlinks on the target.
- Copy softlinks by following the links and copy the files and directories.
- Ignore all links completely, including hardlinks.
- Specify sub-directories that should be excluded from the backup.
- Specify large individual files (over 512kB) that should be excluded from the backup.
- Clean the backup from old, previously backed up files that have been removed from the source.
- Can be aborted or paused.
- Can be executed from scripts including all features normally controlled through the GUI.
- Can backup based only on the archive protection bit.
Cinnamon Writer is a compact and efficient word processor developed especially with AmigaOS in mind. Cinnamon Writer has all of the basic functionality expected of a modern word processor. This includes changeable layout style, support of anti-aliased truetype fonts, infinite "intelligent" Undo/Redo history, user defined page setup and file compatibility with other word processors as Word and OpenOffice that can use RTF or DocX files.
ComicOn displays all your favorite comic strips. Simply select the comic strip and date from the available list and ComicOn displays the strip for you.
CPU Watcher is a simple tool to monitor CPU usage, free memory and network traffic.
It works by launching its own idling task (called "Uuno") at priority -127. Task's execution time is measured and the system load is determined, based on how much time "Uuno" got during a time period (which is 1 second).
Current features include:
- Displays the last 5 minutes of CPU usage (green graph)
- Displays the percentage of free public memory (red graph), virtual memory (blue graph) and video memory (light blue graph)
- Displays network traffic (activated with 'n' key), upload speed (upper, red graph), download speed (lower, green graph), current Kilobyte values are shown in Screen's titlebar as well as graphs show the current / peak * 100% value.
Directory Opus, or DOpus as it is more affectionately known is a dual-panelled file manager.
What sets DOpus apart from all its closest 'rivals' is that it is highly customizable. With a little bit of knowledge you can add support for opening any kind of document that you have a player for.
DOpus is much more than just a 'file-opener' though with it you can perform all manner of operations that make file management straightforward and easy. You can copy, delete or rename files and folders from any device you may have setup; that device could be another computer on your local area network or even a remote site via FTP.
Directory Opus can be found on the AmigaOS Installation CD as an optional install. Additional versions of Directory Opus can also be downloaded.
DOSBox is a DOS-emulator that uses the SDL-library and emulates CPU:286/386 realmode/protected mode, Directory FileSystem/XMS/EMS, Tandy/Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/VESA graphics, as well as a SoundBlaster/Gravis Ultra Sound card for excellent sound compatibility with older games.
Filer is an advanced file manager application tool that will help you effortless to organize your files.
With Filer you can easily copy, delete, rename or move your important files and documents around your system or even copy across a network if one is available. Filer allows you to copy your documents and files to any number of multiple destinations quickly and effectively.
The fully integrated thumbnail preview also lets you effortlessly browse your photo albums.
FileX is a well known HEX-editor for AmigaOS.
- Several files can be modified in several windows and/or views at the same time.
- The edit windows can be opened on any public screen and sized to any dimension you want.
- Small calculator
- Clipboard converter
- Font sensitivity
- Locale support (English, Finnish, French, German, Swedish (Dutch, Norwegian (not yet included))
- Undo and Redo (only limited to your free memory)
- Search and replace with history
- Extensive block functions
- ARexx port with 77 commands and asynchronical command shell
- Printing as hexdump
- `Grab memory' to show and modify memory
- AppWindow. If FileX runs on the workbench, icons can be moved onto the FileX window and the related file will be loaded automatically.
Gnumeric is a professional spreadsheet application that is part of the Gnome Office Suite. Support for opening/editing Microsoft Excel, Open Office and Lotus 1,2,3 documents and much more.
Gnumber requires the installation of AmiCygnix and can be downloaded from the AmiCygnix webpage.
HomeBank is a free application that will assist you in managing your personal accounting.
It is designed to easy to use and be able to analyze your personal finance and budget in detail using powerful filtering tools and beautiful charts.
If you are looking for a completely free and easy application to manage your personal accounting, budget, finance then HomeBank should be the software of choice.
HomeBank requires the installation of AmiCygnix and can be downloaded from the AmiCygnix webpage.
ignition is a modern and powerful spreadsheet application with a small but relational all-purpose database.
You can realize your address database and manage your apartment house or whatever you like. You can calculate with times and dates as if they were regular numbers. The whole system can be controlled via ARexx.
You have several possibilities to visualize your data. The different diagram and object types are implemented via an add-on architecture.
Luettje Bookholler is an easy to use account tracking application that supports multiple accounts and multiple categories to assist with tracking personal spending. Data is able to be imported from other sources via a csv-import.
MindSpace can help you create a wide range of diagrams and drawings. However, its original prime development focus is on the production of MindMaps.
A MindMap is a diagram showing a collection of ideas, themes or keywords. Ideas can be arranged in order or by related groups with lines and arrows showing connections or sequences across the map. Many MindMaps use color and images to reinforce key themes or connections. MindMaps can be used to plan essays, sketch out a presentation, organize a party - just about anything that requires a number of items to be organized, sequenced and then remembered!
MindSpace allows the user to produce:
- Spider Diagrams and Mind Maps
- Plans, UML, ER and Use Case diagrams
- Silly little drawings
- Simple DTP and page layout stuff
MUIMapparium is a OpenStreetMap.org Viewer for AmigaOS with waypoints, tracks, routes, loading, saving and route creation.
NoWinED is a MUI-based TextEditor that can handle more files simultaneously, using different "pages" for each file. The fact that it is impossible to find a MUI TextEditor on Amiga powerful enough to be used instead of Notepad/Editpad and other editors does not have a reason.
- Handling of multiple files through tabs that can be managed via titleButtons, a list, and/or an useful context menu which you can open if you click with right mouse button on right scroll titlebutton (this one appears when it's necessary)
- Context menus
- Search and replace module
- Search into opened files module
- File Drag & Drop: dragging one or more files on the NoWinED list the files will be opened in new tabs, dragging a file on a page will open it on the current page. Finally dragging more files on a tab will open the first file in the current tab, and the others in new pages (AROS lacks Drag & Drop)
- Basic texteditor features (C&P, select all, Undo, Redo, etc...).
- Usage from keyboard supported
- UTF support (you can load UTF files and export UTF with/without BOM or ASCII)
- CR/LF/CR+LF support (you can load any kind of txt file and export text with LF/CR/CR+LF)
- Wrapping process of your text at the column you want
- Backup of all opened files (you can set time between a backup process and another one)
- AutoSave of current file (you can set time between a autosave process and another one)
- Programmable Fn keys with independent profiles
- Graphic printout
PageStream is a creative and feature-rich desktop publishing/page layout program available for Windows, Macintosh OS X, Linux, and Amiga.
PageStream's interface allows you to interactively design your pages as they will appear in your final product. Mix text, images and drawings to create something as small as a business card or postage stamp, or as large as an entire volume of encyclopedias or a billboard.
A screen saver that can show photos. Features image resizing, datatype based loading, sequential or random playback, and supports showing image names.
PointRider is a PowerPoint file viewer for AmigaOS.
- Support of the PowerPoint 97 files
- Images are displayed with right position and size, smooth scaling
- Text engine supporting paragraph alignment and text attributes
- Support of fonts and their color and size
- Fullscreen swap with the 'f' key
- Option for automatic display with a chosen delay
- Display of inherited objects from the master slide
RNOComics is a comic book viewer that can open almost any archive file, PDF file, or a directory with unarchived images, and display the images in it in a GUI designed to read comics.
- Supports CBR, CBZ, CBT, and any other archiving format XAD supports
- Supports PDF files
- Unarchives images on the fly, no HD space or memory wasted
- Read-ahead cache for the next page
- Can continue to the next archive file in a directory with a single command
- Can open directories with unarchived images and work as an image viewer
- MUI GUI with controls as buttons, menu items, and keyboard shortcuts
- Three different layout options: fit width, single page, and double page
- Fullscreen mode option
- Zoom option displays comic's pages at their intended maximum resolution
- Rotate options for portrait mode making viewing/reading easier
- History window with front page thumbnails and page memory
- Backwards reading options for manga comics
- Can save and export images
- Can create thumbnail PNG icons for archives
- Gamma correction options
- Drag & drop loading
- ARexx support
RNOPublisher is an easy-to-use PDF publishing program.
- Supports the most common page sizes in portrait and landscape modes
- Freely placeable text boxes, images, PDF links, and graphical objects
- PDF links can point to document pages or web links
- Supports base fonts that don't affect the file size
- Custom TTF fonts can be embedded into documents
- PDF outlines (table of contents) support
- User creatable page templates
- PDF exporting supports passwords and compression options
- Constrained mouse movement and resizing using qualifier keys
- Additional document saving and loading in its own format
- Drag & drop loading of documents, pictures, and text files
RNOXfer is a graphical FTP client with support for SSL/TLS protocols.
Current features include:
- Supports both explicit and implicit FTPS connections
- Recursive file transfers
- Resume support
- Online editing of files (automatic uploading)
- Create new files using the specific editor setup in Settings
- Open double-clicked files using the program defined in Settings
- Edit filenames and permissions
- File search functionality
- Calculate directory sizes
- Import addresses in URL format
- Configurable IP address and port range for the active mode
- Ability to send custom FTP commands to servers
SnoopDos is a utility that allows users to monitor all file activity on their system, as well as what tooltypes a program is checking, what fonts, libraries and devices are being loaded, and so on. If a program won't start correctly for some reason, SnoopDos can often help track down the cause.
This application is based on the SQLite database engine and lets you create, view and modify databases. The database handling can happen via the GUI or there is an SQL command shell to serve any needs. There is a preliminary support for open xml spreadsheet files which can be converted to databases and even to native Amiga spreadsheets.
Current features include:
- View database structure and content
- Edit database content
- Console for SQL commands
- Create new table structure
- Memory database for testing purpose
- xlsx spreadsheet import
- External import modules
- UTF8 Support
UHC Tools is a collection of scripts and utilities written over the past decade or so.
The most noteworthy utilities are the following:
- aget - A http-download-utility, similar to wget or curl but very fast and simple to use.
- SynergyClient - A Synergy Client, allows you to control your Amiga's mouse and Keyboard from a computer running a Synergy server
- Search-scripts - A collection of scripts to allow for easy searching, downloading and extraction of files from various repositories such as Aminet, whdLoad.de, whdownload.com and more.
A very useful package for anyone looking to expand their knowledge of scripting on AmigaOS.
Workbench Explorer (WEx) is a modern file browser loaded with all the features you are used to, as well as several new functions/features no other file browser has.